Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Broccoli Salad

As I've mentioned before, Slovenia is a country very dear to our hearts.  One of the biggest reasons is that some of our favorite people in the world live there.  One of those people is Lori.  While Lori is an American and from the same place I am from, we've never actually lived on the same continent since we've known each other.  Even still, Lori has influenced my life in more ways than I can count.  She has been a mentor and friend to me and cared for me and my family consistently.  And in the small windows of time that I have been privileged to be a guest in her house, I've gained some great kitchen knowledge and recipes.  Lori highly values making her home a comfortable place for people to come and be loved and cared for.  This comes across so strongly in her cooking. 

This particular recipe is one that I adapted from Lori's recipe.  You know it's a winner because it contains to of my favorite foods on earth -- broccoli and bacon.  You can't really go wrong when your working with those things.  It's a great salad to take to a barbecue or to just keep in the fridge to have as a snack.

Paleo Broccoli Salad

8 cups broccoli florets (about 4 medium sized heads)
1 package bacon
1/2 onion (red onion is best, but anything will work in a pinch)
1/2 cup mayo (homemade, right? :))
1 Tbsp vinegar
2 Tbsp honey
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup raisins (optional)

Chop and cook bacon.  Set aside on paper towel to cool.  Chop broccoli and onion and place in large bowl with bacon, almonds and raisins.  In small bowl, combine mayo, vinegar and honey until combined.  Pour over broccoli and stir everything until well combined.  Chill and serve. 

1 comment:

  1. Those are some of the greatest compliments I have ever received. Thank you Alison! I am so glad the Lord brought us together over all these miles! Happy cooking and making those men in your life happy!

    ReplyDelete